Friday, November 5, 2010

The happy meal is not happy. Or a meal.

The chickpea is also not a chick or a pea. 
Let's Discuss.


(but first - a love letter)

Dear San Fransisco-
You have enamored me yet again. Thank you for taking such a Giant step in pursuits of 'food justice'. Wow, I even just love that Supervisor Mar uses the words 'food justice'. But I digress. Do not worry about the mainstream on anything and focus on the facts you have clear handle on - that it is a survival issue, a day to day fight that needs such due diligence. It's more of a stop talking start doing feeling and I, for hopefully not just one, am in full support of the measure.
Signed, 
A parent who cares about a healthy future for my child.
------------------------------------------------------------

Fast Food Fury! Beginning December 2011 (gosh thats a long time from now, wonder how many obese kids will die in that time...) - this new San Fransisco ordinance restaurants may only include a toy with a meal if "
the food and drink combined contain fewer than 600 calories, and if less than 35% of the calories come from fat"
The McDonalds spokesperson Ms. Proud (you cant make these things up),  says it's not what customers want or asked for. McDonalds is "fast" food, no? Fast- convenient. If I'm not mistaken, all a customer wants out of McDonalds is tasty food that wont kill them instantly and is um, fast. Applying the hard and not so fast hand of the law and regulation to the standards by which that want is available to the masses - does nothing to affect that.
What does it affect? Childhood obesity. Here's a fact sheet on that which also mentions costs related to toys in meals and costs of healthcare.
The notion that anything, any regulation that can only have a positive effect (and lets face it, I'm not even touching the affect of less crappy made toys that last a day and serve no purpose) is "disappointing" to a great symbol of American culture like McD's.. well, that's just .. Disappointing. And reminds me I wont be feeding my child anything from there anytime soon, toy or not.



2 comments:

  1. Does it feel like my thoughts should be more complete. Yeah, I think so too... Contribute to the conversation and we'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job San Francisco. I can totally see how this will make people really angry. Understandably, I suppose, because it is letting the government make decisions for people. However, children aren't informed consumers and can't make decisions based on the "Is this good for me?", "Does this have nutrients in it that will keep me healthy?". They see a toy and want it. Therefore, they'll eat the food that comes with it. Why not make that food that's good for you? Teach them good habits when you can still reward that good behavior with the toy and have that be enough.

    ReplyDelete